Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever. Alma 26:12

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Nothing beats the real thing...



Inline image 1
OUR CLASSROOM
Dear Family,

The weeks are really starting to fly by. These weeks have been by far the busiest in my life. Everyday is a 16 hour day and we're doing something every minute of it. We spend about 45 hours each week in class studying, and about the same amount of time studying outside of class. I'm learning so quickly. I've probably learned more Portuguese in the last 3 weeks than I learned Latin in 3 years. So crazy! I love it so much! I expected it to be super stressful here, but so far so good haha. I'm having too much fun to be stressed :). We started TRC (Training Resource Center) on Thursday. TRC is when real people (Portuguese speaking) come in seeking help (Or sometimes they just wanna talk to someone in Portuguese) and we talk to them and do our best to help them. I think it's really cool that I'm already able to help people that are much older than me in a language that I've only been studying for 3 weeks. The Lord is definitely hard at work. I know that there is no way that I could be at this point in my Portuguese studies without an immense amount of help from him. I attempted to learn 3 languages throughout my years in school (Spanish, French, Latin) and I was never able to progress very far in them. Languages have never been my strong point. Now, within a very short amount of time, I can already carry a conversation in this beautiful language. BTW, when I become fluent, I'll be able to understand Spanish 100%. Or at least that's what my teachers have told us haha. I am so excited to get to Brazil! 


Inline image 2
With Elder Carlson, Elder Zwick and Elder

At the Provo Temple with my District

The MTC is great, but nothing beats the real thing. Still waiting on my Visa. Temporary assignments will go out sometime around the 7th. We got our new callings this week. Elders Zwick and Yarrington are our new Zone leaders, Elder Carlson is the new district leader, and I'm literally everything else haha. I'm the Online coordinator, the sacrament coordinator, and the music coordinator. I'm kinda glad I didn't get called to be a Zone or
With Elder Worthington
District leader. We only have 4 people in my Zone (just my district. We had like 60ish people when I first got here. They're slowing missionaries from the USA to Brazil until at least this summer.) so all Zone leaders do is give a short lesson on Sundays and interview elder Carlson. Elder Carlson interviews the Zone leaders and I and gives us a lesson on Tuesdays. I'm in charge of training new districts on how to use the computers / coordinating Sacrament meeting / choosing hymns and assigning an accompanist. I'm excited! Oh ya! I get to Host
 tomorrow! Basically I'll be one of the missionaries that stands at the front and brings new missionaries to their bedrooms/class rooms and shows them around the MTC. Maybe I'll get to host Tyler! That would be super cool. I can't remember if he's going Spanish speaking, but if he is than he'll check in/get his tags here and then they'll bus him over to the West campus (about 2 miles away). All Spanish speaking missionaries are trained there and we only get to see them on days with devotionals (usually only Tuesdays and Sundays). The missionaries are super lucky. They don't have to have cafeteria food all the time. From what we've heard, they actually have the option of a couple of nearby fast food places. It works just like the meal plan at BYU. They just swipe your ID card and you're good to go. Soooooo lucky. Let me know what time he's supposed to arrive tomorrow! Tchau! :)

It is only those
who do not know how to work
that do not love it.
To those who do,
it is better than play.
- John Mason Brown