Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever. Alma 26:12

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Waiting on the Lord

This last week I had an awesome opportunity to grow my testimony of prayer and to understand a little bit more, the love that my Savior has for me. As I said last week, I was having trouble learning to love the people in my new area. I prayed and prayed begging for more love for them and God responded. I had the opportunity to learn this lesson in the same way that I have learned a majority of my lessons on my mission. I got sick. I got a bacteria in my throat and for two days I wasn't even able to talk. (Mom - Before you start worrying, I'm already better. I already went to the hospital and I'm already taking antibiotics. :) ). During this time, the members here really reached out to me. These members that I barely knew, brought me soups and porridge (Surprsingly, porridge is actually pretty good!) and stayed in contact with us to know how I was doing. They offered to drive me to the hospital (Which is pretty far, normally we take the bus) without us even asking. My prayer was answered, I love these people! 

I also had the opportunity to learn a little something about the love of God. I know he loves us, this is something obvious to all of us. I understand now that God lets "bad" things happen to us to help us grow. I easily could have complained any of the numerous times that I've gotten sick on the mission. But I know that God loves me and only wants the best for me and every time that the sickness (or any other trial) passes, I'm stronger because of it. Sometimes the things that seem to be your burdens are actually your blessings. I love my God and for this short opportunity that I have to serve Him 100%. "Whenever The Lord asks us to give something up He always has something better to replace it with. Waiting upon or trusting in The Lord is often not easy but always worth it as He shows us things about ourselves we never knew existed" (Papa).



Read Waiting on the Lord by Elder Robert D. Hales: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/waiting-upon-the-lord-thy-will-be-done?lang=eng

Love

- Elder Hamstead